Like any appliance, air conditioning system require a little TLC to provide optimum efficiency. It's the Air conditioners that have not been kept in superior condition that tend to have a hard time most in hot weather condition.
To make certain you do not lose your cool as soon as the weather condition heats up, we asked the specialists at Customer Reports and a/c pros to recognize the most typical issues that turn up with window and central air conditioning conditioners. They highlighted 8 issues to fix now. Plus, you'll find our list of top ac system for little, medium, and large rooms, below.
The No. 1 problem affects both window units and main Air Conditioner systems, and-- we more than happy to report-- it's the most convenient to repair. Here are 8 concerns to ask that will help you keep your Air Conditioning at peak performance all summer long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which type of air conditioning unit you have, a clogged filter restricts air flow, reducing performance and minimizing the capability to efficiently cool the air. If you haven't cleaned the filter in your window or portable air conditioning unit recently, make certain you do and after that examine it regularly. For main Air Conditioning systems, check the filter manufacturer's recommendation for when to switch in a brand-new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from 3 to 12 months.
Just keep in mind that if your system is running constantly or if you have pets, you will require to alter your filters more frequently. "When we get calls about central air conditioning units that aren't working well, nine times out of 10 it's because of an unclean filter," states Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & A/c in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to Us
We test thousands of items so you can develop your finest home.
2. Is It Too Sunny Inside?
If your window AC remains in a window that gets direct sunshine in the heat of the day, it'll need to work harder to cool your space. If you have a choice, move it to a shadier area. If not, keep your tones and curtains drawn during the day to block the sun and avoid it from warming up your home.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Check the seals around your window AC to make certain hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't permeating out). Reseal around your system with weather stripping if necessary.
" The majority of brand-new window units come with insulation panels to place over the plastic adjustable side panels," states Chris Regan, CR's senior a/c tester. "But to make the most of efficiency, you'll still require to utilize weather stripping around the border of the system. And always use the manufacturer's setup and security hardware."
4. Is Your Window Air Conditioning Vibrating? Air conditioning unit make a lot of sound, including from the whir of the fan and the sound of the compressor biking on and off. These sounds are typical. But if you hear a vibrating sound, it might imply that your unit was set up incorrectly. Ensure it's sitting firmly in the window and examine the setup instructions in your owner's manual to validate that no steps were missed.
Central Air Conditioner List
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right here Setting?
With a wise or programmable thermostat, you can more easily manage the temperature level in your house so that it's comfy when you exist and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature level seems off, make sure the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunshine, which may cause it to sign up the incorrect temperature.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air heating and cooling system, frequently vacuum the registers to remove any dust accumulation. Ensure that furniture and other things aren't obstructing the airflow through your registers.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outside compressor for main air requires appropriate airflow to work correctly, so make certain there's at least 2 to 3 feet of space between the compressor and any plants or structures. There need to also be 5 feet of clearance between the top of the system and any trees above.
8. Did You Remember the Annual Examination? An assessment by a HEATING AND COOLING (heating, ventilation, and cooling) service technician can catch any severe issues before they worsen and leave you hot and bothered. The technician will examine all the moving parts, in addition to the refrigerant, and recharge the system if essential.
Need a New AC?
If your space ac system is beyond repair, you can discover one that did well in our tests for just around $200 for a small unit and upwards of $800 for a big one. Make sure you match the size of the air conditioner to the room it's meant to cool. Listed below, we note models in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can find more in our complete air conditioner rankings.